Look at all those bobbins

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Metal and Lace



Whether it is a jump ring or a fancy wire heart like this one, you can make wonderful earrings using a technique that goes back to wrapping thread on rings to make shade pulls from the 20's. I had been working with regular jump rings and metallic thread with much success. I found these little heart wires (completely solid all the way around! : ) and thought it would make a very nice earring set. These hearts come in three sizes, this being the smallest. I've been in search of other shapes as well and with all the chains and links out there for jewelry making these days you are bound to find treasures. Thanks to Krystle and Jon (25 motif) for their inspiration in modernizing an old technique!




5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Cool! May I ask where you got the hearts?

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Thanks to Elizabeth Zipay, I've found your blog. Your jewelry and ideas are very attractive. I especially love the watchband. Beautifully done and neatly finished!

Also, your shuttle collection is amazing! Nicely presented and photographed, plus fascinating histories. Where did you get that gorgeous "Webster" shuttle?

Why not join us in the 25-Motif Challenge?

Unknown said...

Very pretty! :)

Dawn Marie said...

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.
Elizabeth, I got the hearts at Joann's back in the begining of the summer. I think these are by Plaid.
Kathy, The Webster shuttle lol, I wish I had one like this! That one is just a picture I found and was hoping some day I would have one! lol I am lucky to have the others but it has taken me a long time to collect them.
TattingChic, good to hear from you! Thanks for always stopping by! :)

Tatskool said...

The hearts look fabulous, what a great idea.